August 3rd-4th, 2023
Training 8:30 am to 4:00 pm Pacific Time
11:30 am to 7:00 pm ET
Presented via Zoom Video Communications
Ashley Maliken, PhD
DBT-Linehan Board of Certification Certified Clinician™
Comprehensive DBT for Adolescents (DBT-A) has a robust body of literature supporting its effectiveness for reducing high risk behaviors in teens. A core component of an adherent DBT-A program is a multifamily skills group, teaching the DBT skills to teens and their caregivers in an effort to increase environmental skillfulness and decrease environmental invalidation.
This 2-day training will provide an overview of the DBT skills most commonly taught when leading a multifamily skills group. We will review the core modules (mindfulness, distress tolerance, interpersonal effectiveness and emotion regulation), as well as the middle path skills introduced by Miller and Rathus (2015). Through the use of didactics, modeling and role plays, attendees will have a chance to deepen their understanding of the skills and explore how to more successfully teach them to youth and families.
Topics covered will include:
- Emerging research findings regarding the importance of skills, including what skills trainers/coaches need to most know to maximize outcomes.
- Review of skills within each skills training module, including Mindfulness, Emotion Regulation, Interpersonal, Distress Tolerance and Middle Path.
- Strategies for maximizing the efficiency and effectiveness of skills groups for teens and caregivers.
CONTINUING EDUCATION AND LEARNING OBJECTIVES
Upon completion of this two-day workshop, participants will be able to:
- Describe the latest research findings with respect to the importance of DBT skills.
- Define core mindfulness skills and States of Mind.
- List the main subcategories within Distress Tolerance skills and name three skills within each category.
- Identify each component of the model of emotions.
- Describe the important principles underlying the skill of opposite to emotion action for three primary emotions.
- Define the DEAR MAN GIVE FAST skills.
- Name 3 skills from the Middle Path Module.
- Identify the 6 levels of validation.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
This course is designed for mental health and other professionals (clergy, teachers, nurses, PCPs) working with multi-diagnostic adolescents and their caregivers. Attendees are highly encouraged to attend an introductory DBT training (e.g., DBT in a Nutshell; DBT in a Nutshell for Adolescents and Families), as the fundamentals of DBT will not be addressed in this training.
REQUIREMENTS AND PREREQUISITES:
For maximal impact, we require learners to bring copies of Linehan’s (2014) skills training manuals to the workshop (DBT Skills Training Manual – Second Edition; DBT Skills Training Handouts and Worksheets – Second Edition), as well as Rathus and Miller DBT Skills Manual for Adolescents (2015).
CONTINUING EDUCATION HOURS:
Participants who complete both training days will earn 12 CE hours.
Portland DBT Institute has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 6326. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. Portland DBT Institute is solely is responsible for all aspects of the programs.
|Individual Registration Fee
|Group Registration Fee for 3 or more
|Student Registration Fee
Private Training Requests
Portland DBT Institute training is available to schedule as a private training for your group. PDBTI’s training team travels locally, nationally, and internationally, to provide evidence based, adherent DBT training. Please fill out our Training Request Form and a training coordinator will contact you to see how we can work together to exceed your organization’s training goals.
CANCELLATIONS AND REFUNDS
A $60.00 handling fee will be deducted upon cancellation. Refund requests by fax or email must be received two weeks before the start date. In addition, the fees are non-transferrable.
PDBTI reserves the right to cancel any program due to under-enrollment, or any course due to work stoppages, instructor illness or inclement weather. If a course is cancelled, PDBTI is responsible for refunding only the course fee.