Erica Tan, PsyD
Groups of 5 or More
If you are interested in this training on a date not offered, we can schedule most trainings at our site or yours, to meet your group’s needs.
Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT) is a highly efficacious treatment developed by Marsha M. Linehan, PhD for multi-diagnostic, severely disordered individuals with borderline personality disorder and other problems of emotion dysregulation. Recent studies have shown that DBT skills, when provided in the context of a comprehensive DBT program, are highly effective at reducing suicidal behaviors and improving treatment outcomes. DBT skills have been adapted for use for numerous different patient populations, including teens and individuals struggling with substance abuse and eating disorders. DBT has been used widely in a variety of settings, including the schools, juvenile justice facilities, prisons, inpatient settings, and residential treatment centers, in addition to outpatient settings.
In the making for nearly a decade, Linehan’s second edition skills training manual (2014) represents the culmination of decades of thinking and refinements by her and other DBT experts. No stone was left unturned. This two-day training will provide an overview of DBT skills with a special emphasis on the new DBT skills.
Topics covered will include:
- Big, emerging research findings regarding the importance of skills, including what skills trainers/coaches need to most know to maximize outcomes.
- Review of skills within each skills training module, including Mindfulness, Emotion Regulation, Interpersonal, and Distress Tolerance.
- An emphasis on new DBT skills and new skills training instruction
Upon completion of this two-day workshop, participants will be able to:
- Describe the latest research findings with respect to the importance of DBT skills.
- Identify the key factor in improving outcomes with DBT skills based on the research to date.
- Define core mindfulness skills and States of Mind.
- List main subcategories within Distress Tolerance skills and name three skills within each category.
- Describe the model of emotions.
- Describe the important principles underlying the skill of opposite to emotion action for three primary emotions.
- Categorize and define the DEAR MAN GIVE FAST skills.
- Name and define four new DBT skills.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
This course is designed for mental health and other professionals (clergy, teachers, nurses, PCPs) who are called upon to help people improve their lives through skillful actions.
There are no prerequisites for this course. For maximal impact, we REQUIRE learners to bring copies of Linehan’s (2014) skills training manuals to the workshop – DBT Skills Training Handouts and Worksheets, Second Edition 2nd Edition
Copies of the DBT Skills Training Handouts and Worksheets are available for preorder on our training registration page.
CONTINUING EDUCATION CREDITS
Participants who complete both training days will earn 12 continuing education credits.
Portland DBT Institute is an NBCC-Approved Continuing Education Provider (ACEP) and may offer NBCC-approved clock hours for events that meet NCBB requirements. The ACEP solely is responsible for all aspects of the program
|Individual Registration Fee
|Group Registration Fee for 5 or more
|Student Registration Fee
Early Registration Discount:
For those registering 30 or more days in advance a $25 per person discount will be given.
CANCELLATION AND REFUND POLICY
- Cancellations and Refunds – A $100.00 handling fee will be deducted upon cancellation. Refund requests by fax or email must be received two weeks before the start date. In addition, the fees are non-transferrable.
- Course Cancelation – PDBTI reserves the right to cancel any program due to under-enrollment, or any course due to work stoppages, instructor illness or inclement weather. If a course is cancelled, PDBTI is responsible for refunding only the course fee.
The River’s Edge offers the guests of Portland DBT Institute a 10% discount off of the best rate of the day for both the Hillside and Riverside King guestrooms.
When booking reservations, please ask for HEALTH rate plan. This rate is subject to availability at time of booking. Should the Premier Rate Plan not be available, the best available house rate will prevail.
As well as being a short riverside walk from the offices of Portland DBT Institute, travelers staying at the River’s Edge will enjoy the following amenities and services.
- Well-appointed guest room accommodation in either the Hillside King (343 sq. ft.) or Riverside King Guestrooms (390 sq.) Hillside guestrooms have windows which open,Riverside, a walk out patio facing the river. Both light and airy.
- Guestrooms with complimentary wireless internet service, a well – lit work area, 50” flat screen television, in-room coffee, safe and large marble surfaced bathroom vanities.
- 24 hour access to the fitness center, Jacuzzi, sauna and steam room.
- Complimentary use of the business center.
- The in-house spa which offers a wide range of treatments. Please visit our website for a complete list of treatments and pricing.
- The Aquariva restaurant adjacent to the hotel services, breakfast, lunch, happy hour, dinner and brunch.
Information on Trimet bus, lightrail, and street car transportation can be found at