Presented via Zoom Video Communications
Charlotte Thomas, LCSW
DBT-Linehan Board of Certification Certified Clinician™
Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT) is a highly efficacious treatment developed by Marsha M. Linehan, PhD for multi-diagnostic, severely disordered individuals with borderline personality disorder and other problems of emotion dysregulation. Recent studies have shown that DBT skills, when provided in the context of a comprehensive DBT program, are highly effective at reducing suicidal behaviors and improving treatment outcomes. DBT skills have been adapted for use for numerous different patient populations, including teens and individuals struggling with substance abuse and eating disorders. DBT has been used widely in a variety of settings, including the schools, juvenile justice facilities, prisons, inpatient settings, and residential treatment centers, in addition to outpatient settings.
In the making for nearly a decade, Linehan’s second edition skills training manual (2014) represents the culmination of decades of thinking and refinements by her and other DBT experts. No stone was left unturned. This two-day training will provide an overview of DBT skills with a special emphasis on the new DBT skills.
Topics covered will include:
- Big, emerging research findings regarding the importance of skills, including what skills trainers/coaches need to most know to maximize outcomes.
- Review of skills within each skills training module, including Mindfulness, Emotion Regulation, Interpersonal, and Distress Tolerance.
- An emphasis on new DBT skills and new skills training instruction
Upon completion of this two-day workshop, participants will be able to:
- Describe the latest research findings with respect to the importance of DBT skills.
- Identify the key factor in improving outcomes with DBT skills based on the research to date.
- Define core mindfulness skills and States of Mind.
- List main subcategories within Distress Tolerance skills and name three skills within each category.
- Describe the model of emotions.
- Describe the important principles underlying the skill of opposite to emotion action for three primary emotions.
- Categorize and define the DEAR MAN GIVE FAST skills.
- Name and define four new DBT skills.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
This course is designed for mental health and other professionals (clergy, teachers, nurses, PCPs) who are called upon to help people improve their lives through skillful actions.
REQUIREMENTS AND PREREQUISITES
There are no prerequisites for this course. For maximal impact, we REQUIRE learners to have copies of Linehan’s (2014) skills training manuals to the workshop – DBT Skills Training Handouts and Worksheets, Second Edition 2nd Edition
Copies of the DBT Skills Training Handouts and Worksheets are available for preorder on our training registration page.
CONTINUING EDUCATION HOURS
Participants who complete both training days will earn 10 CE hours.
Portland DBT Institute has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 6326.
Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. Portland DBT Institute is solely is responsible for all aspects of the programs.
|Individual Registration Fee|
|Group Registration Fee for 3 or more|
|Student Registration Fee|
Private Training Requests
Portland DBT Institute training is available to schedule as a private training for your group. PDBTI’s training team travels locally, nationally, and internationally, to provide evidence based, adherent DBT training. Please fill out our Training Request Form and a training coordinator will contact you to see how we can work together to exceed your organization’s training goals.
CANCELLATIONS AND REFUNDS
A $60.00 handling fee will be deducted upon cancellation. Refund requests by fax or email must be received two weeks before the start date. In addition, the fees are non-transferrable.
PDBTI reserves the right to cancel any program due to under-enrollment, or any course due to work stoppages, instructor illness or inclement weather. If a course is cancelled, PDBTI is responsible for refunding only the course fee.